Monday, August 31, 2009

First Warners Bay next the World...

... well nearly! After my success at the weekend I have decided at the very last minute, after being given the web address by Ross, to enter the World Masters Games 2009 in Sydney. The entries for the 10km road race had to be in before 5pm and I had parents evening and so Beth worked wonders to get my name on the starting list! The World Masters is like the Olympics for the over thirties with host cities staging the event every four years. The fact that its just two hours away was too good an opportunity to miss.



"The World Masters Games are one of the great international sports events,and the largest in terms of participation. It provides people of all abilities not only with reasons to play organised sport in later life but also with opportunities to make new friends."

World Masters Games 2009 - Link

"Sydney being a recent Olympic City provides a not-to-be-missed chance to follow in the footsteps of legends. Many of the 28 sports competitions will take place in Olympic venues, several sites in the Sydney Olympic Park precinct that will be both the sport and social heart of the Games."




I must admit that I'm looking forward to stepping out at the Olympic Stadium for the opening ceremony on the 11th of October... representing the United Kingdom of course!!!! Before that I have five hard weeks training ahead so that I can be in even better shape. I ran 42:56 for 10.5km at the weekend so I'm hoping to be much closer to 40 minutes on the day... interestingly at the last World Masters in Canada my best this year would have been good enough for 13th place in my category!



PS: For those of you thinking that its all running and no Beth at the moment... you'll be glad to hear that we're hoping to make it a weekend away for the two of us!! ;0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

From Strength to More Strength!
Well Done! with your Running Records! Glad to hear it will be a weekend for two! With UK good wishes - John and Jean xx xx