Saturday, October 17, 2009

Olga jumps into the record books...

Last week we posted that we had met Olga Kotelko a Canadian althlete at the World Masters Games... looks like she's enjoyed it as much as we did.

Canadian athlete Olga Kotelko yesterday leapt into the record books as the oldest woman ever to compete in the long jump at the World Masters Games.
Kotelko, 90, jumped 1.71 metres to win her sixth Games gold medal and then took her haul to a magnificent seven by throwing the discus 13.42m at the Sydney Olympic Park Athletic Centre.
The sprightly nonagenarian, who lists 100-year-old Ruth Frith as her idol, was the only long jumper in her division but she still has a competitive spirit, looking forward to one day having some rivals.
“That’s the name of the game, I would love to see others in my age category,” said Kotelko, of 2010 Olympics city Vancouver.
“At the moment, I’m having to compete with my own records and try to better those.”
While Kotelko only took up athletics when she hit 77 she attributed her Canadian country roots to her success on the field.
“I used to milk 15 cows by hand. It was very physical work,” Kotelko explained.
“I was the seventh of 11 children. We all had to do our bit around the farm.”
Today, however, Kotelko adopts a slightly different training regime that takes her 90 minutes to complete and incorporates some very forward-thinking approaches.
“I designed my training program myself. It involves reflexology, yoga and meditation,” Kotelko said.

No comments: