Monday, October 12, 2009

World Masters Games ... Recovery & Reflection.

Day three had a later and slower start than day two. I was certainly sore and Beth was tired from two days of being support person.... sorry coach! ;0) It was a great day to think things over, reflect on the last few months and the day before.

Being at these games will have a lasting impact on Beth and I. Beth seems quite fired up about wanting to get fit and active, while I continue to be pleased with the progress I've made since picking up the running shoes again in April. It does make me wonder what potential there may be in there as my times improve. I've certainly come back more determined to keep pushing forward with half an eye on a trip to the UK via the next World Masters Games in Torino, Italy in 2013. Who knows maybe I could improve on my 7th place finish???

We were also both blown away by some of the stories that we heard and the people we met. While headline writers might take the easy route towards the "Golden Grannies" etc to fill column inches it is worth noting that competitors ranged from 24 to 101, many of whom had competed at the highest levels (former Olympic Champions and World Record holders!)I've been a little disappointed with some of the media coverage here in Australia, and the only mention of the games on the BBC website was on the humour page! I was however interested to read an article on the Mail Online which featured two of the athletes we spoke with. Ruth from Australia being the oldest female athlete at the games (... there was a 101 year old man at the Lawn Bowls!)



and Olga from Canada aged 90.



Both were amazing people to speak to, inspirational and humble in equal measure. When I congratulated Ruth on her Shot Putt Gold and World Record... her response was one of embarrassment and "Well I was the only competitor!" ... amazing ... we watched her win the Hammer Throw today!

As the only competitor in the event Frith just had to show up to take out gold but the guaranteed win didn't stop her training six days a week and bench-pressing 35kg in preparation. At Sydney's Olympic Park yesterday she urged others to "set out and give it a try". "Just try – they could be surprised," she said.


When we spoke to Olga today I was amazed how focused she was, she had a handful of cue cards with motivational things written down, routines and reminders etc. She was and still is very much an athlete. Everyone at these games, whatever their ability or performance gave their best seemed to consider themselves an athlete. There seemed to be no disgrace in being last, by some considerable distance in some cases, they had the confidence to get involved and give their best. I actually felt (... in my head,. legs were saying NO!) by the end of today that maybe I should have entered some of the other events that I routinely run on Tuesdays, but didn't feel comfortable entering before...

Something has changed...

VIDEO: Masters games opens in Sydney

Shared via AddThis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Fit, Fun, Forever Young'!
'Give it a try'!
'Participation not the winning'!
'Get involved and give (your)best!
'No disgrace in being last'!

Sporting/life mottos for a better world!

Well Done to organisers/volunteers
- a HUGE event to arrange!

Paul, Well Done with 7th and go for more - look forward to 2013 - in every way! xx xx