Thursday, October 08, 2009

A pain in the ....

... shin!



With just five days of running to go until the World Masters Games in Sydney I've managed to injure myself. After spending a day in the garden digging and pottering about I rushed off to my track session. Arriving late it was time for a few quick laps before starting the 3km race. I managed to finish in a fairly quick time, some four seconds slower than my fastest but fairly pleasing. However after getting my breath back I struggled to my feet and found it very painful to even walk a recovery lap. Both legs were cramping up my shin, the only way I could stop it was stretching and walking backwards!!!

Now this isn't too much of a problem as the hard work has already been done, athletes (... and weekend road warriors like me!) taper the week before a race. I am concerned however that this could be the dreaded shin splits which strikes fear into the hearts and minds of all runners! I've rested, elevated, massaged and iced all this week in the hope that the pain I'm having is just the discomfort left behind after the cramp! The fact that I can walk pain free is a good sign... however I'm unlikely to really know until Sunday morning.



Having to withdraw would be disappointing, embarrassing and painful (... mostly in the wallet area!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul
So hope pain free continues and you have a good race - with love - Jean & John xx xx