Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First five impressions of the World Cup ...

1.Early mornings and late nights.


My plan of watching every minute of the World Cup just like in those student days when getting up in the morning wasn't an issue, or the cup was in Europe has failed miserably after only five days. While most UK blog readers can enjoy afternoon and evening games I'm having to contend with 9:30pm 12:00am and 4:30am games. My birthday present of a coffee machine has been getting a work out! The sofa has a me shaped imprint on it and I have crashed and burned a couple of times. Managed to get out and down to the social club with some friends on Monday morning at 4:30am ... more on that later!

2. Robert Green.

You've got to feel sorry for the guy. Goal keeper makes one mistake ... even a howler of one! ... and gets hammered, striker misses clear opportunities ... yes you Heskey ... and nothing much is said. Probably not a bad result .. you would think that England should win the next two (should!) but the quality of the performance is more of a concern. Lets just hope Capello has the boys starting slowly and ready for the long haul. England never seem to do anything easy!

Here's the Lego version of Robert Green in action...



3. The Vuvuzela!!!!


I watched a warm up game between Denmark and Australia before the world cup started and stated that the horn thing would be the sound of this World Cup, and it pretty much has been constant throughout the first five days! Personally I'd prefer to some chanting but when in JoBurg do as the South Africans do. My fear is that they might creep back into the English game via suitcases or Sainsbury's who were selling one every two seconds at the weekend! ... Don't get me started on the oversized glasses and the miners hats!

4. A lesson in German


As I said I went out at 4:00am to watch the Socceroos take on Germany on Monday. Football or Soccer (winces!) as they call it here is about the third or fourth most popular sport here after Rugby League, Australian Rules and Rugby Union. After astrong showing last time in Germany the country was hoping for a repeat performance. However the wheels came off in the first game against Germany losing 4-0 and having their best player red carded (I've some experience of knowing how this feels!) Despite all the England Australia rivalry and banter I take no satisfaction out of seeing them struggle ... its so important that they do well for the future of the game here. I'll continue wearing my Socceroos shirt (... a present honestly!) for at least another two games anyway!

5. Three Lions... 

When this song was first released it was thirty years of hurt ... now its forty four and counting! Here's this years effort ...



Everyone seems to know the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
They're so sure

That England's gonna
Throw it away
Gonna blow it away
But I know they can play


.. still dreaming in 2010! ;0)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2. Robert Green
John's views exactly!
Points for compassion!
xx

Anonymous said...

Great first video! Great football!
Great last clip of Bobbie More! J&J