Friday, October 10, 2008

Ross River Fever...



I had a myriad of blood tests a week ago to try and get to the bottom of why I've been feeling so lethargic over the last two months or so. I've had a lot of fever along with joint and muscle pain and it just didn't fell like flu, even the virile Man Flu strain! So I actually got around to registering for a Doctor and getting some tests done. When my doctors receptionist rang after 48 hours having originally asked me to call after three weeks I knew that something was wrong. I've had something of a nervous wait since last Thursday until today to find out if it was one of the possibles - diabetes, Ross River Fever or Glandular Fever.

Turn out that I've managed to pick up Ross River Fever which I've since found out is...

a viral infection, transmitted through mosquito bites. The Ross River virus was named after the river in northern Queensland where it was first identified, but it is found in all states of Australia and throughout Papua New Guinea and many islands in the South Pacific.

The disease is most common in Australia from spring to autumn, particularly from January through to March, when mosquitoes are most abundant.

Symptoms
Infection with the Ross River virus is most commonly associated with fever, rash and joint pains. Swelling of joints may also occur – especially in the fingers, wrists and feet – and joint stiffness tends to be worse in the morning.

General symptoms such as nausea, headache, backache, and muscle aches are also common. Lethargy and fatigue are often debilitating, with some people unable to carry out minor activities, or even get out of bed.

Symptoms of the virus usually come on between five and 14 days after infection and disappear within six weeks. However, 10 per cent of people have ongoing joint pains, depression and fatigue for many months.

The Ross River virus usually lives in native mammals such as kangaroos and wallabies, but can also affect rodents and even horses. These animals act as natural reservoirs for the virus and when a female mosquito bites an infected animal it picks up some of the virus.

The virus enters the human bloodstream via the saliva of an infected mosquito. It then reproduces itself in some of the blood cells and builds up in organs such as muscles, joints and the skin, resulting in the symptoms of infection. This incubation time – or the time between being bitten by mosquito and early symptoms – is usually about one week.


Only a Lilly white POM would pick up a virus commonly associated with Kangaroos! I'm now faced with two weekly blood tests which will check to see if the virus levels increase or decrease. My test next week is crucial as if the levels decrease I'm over the worse, if they increase then .... Gulp!

There isn't anything that I can take in the way of treatment, although it has made me think more about prevention. I need to crack on with the rest of the window screens and ensure that I carry Aeroguard with me if I'm out at dusk. We do have a zapper outside which stays on 24hrs a day and we always make sure there are no stagnant pools of water in the garden! They do seem to like Beth and I, Beth picked up about four walking from the car last night! We have thought of them as an unwanted itch to scratch but they are obviously more serious than that... I am now officially at war with the Aussie Mozzie!

Double click on the picture bellow to enlarge...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauly

Not nice! - sending loadsa love and healing hugs- John xx & Jean xx