Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas came early...

Christmas came early today as I was offered a job at Hunter Valley Grammar school on a full time 1 year contract. While working from home was okay the getting access to the money paid by cheque in the UK which then took time to clear before taking another week to transfer the £'s into $'s meant that we had a monthly money crisis which wasn't doing anything to help us feel settled.

The days we've had supply teaching here (Beth is working all this week so it's Daddy Day care again!) helped as at least the cash goes in the bank, tax taken; sorted! I have been getting two or three days a week and the odd block which was a help. I can't say that I enjoyed it though as days here and there don't allow you to build relationships and rapport with the class which is what I think Primary Education is all about. Faced with a 35 year wait to get a full time job in Newcastle or anywhere on the coast (there is a waiting list when a job come up the next person on the lengthy list gets it!) We were faced with either moving out into the bush to a country school, trying my hand at something else or moving back to the UK and getting back into the system. I guess having Alfie changes things in that its not just you and the Mrs, I have responsibilities and an extra (increasingly hungry) mouth to feed! Casual teaching is neither rewarding or a stable way to live your life.

One day I spotted a small ad in the local paper, the school is considered to be one of the state's outstanding private schools with a reputation for academic, cultural and sporting excellence. I didn't hold out much hope as I have neither taught in a Grammar School or even been educated in one, both factors which would have not been favourable in the UK. Undeterred I requested a visit something I always try to do before applying for a job as you can pick up lots of tip bits for your application that way! I liked the place, the facilities were unbelievable and so I got my application in.

Yesterday I had a call requesting that I come for an interview today. It was very informal and I thought it had gone pretty well. I then got the call to say that they would like to offer me the post... needless to say I accepted. While only being for a year I know that a lot can change in that time and I'll be working hard to make sure that they don't want to let me go after that!

Expectations from parents will be high I'm sure and there will be a commitment to offer my services after school for activities... I think I might have already landed the Soccer Coach role which is much preferred to Horse riding as I don't have my own horse to bring to school like the children do... I kid you not!

Check out the school website here.

No comments: