Friday, June 08, 2007

Newcastle takes a battering...



Some of the worst weather Newcastle has seen since a coal tanker ran aground on local Stockton Beach in the 1970's has been lashing the area. It's no coincidence that is coincides with Beth and mums dad going home last week! The last time they went home for five weeks it did nothing but rain only for the wall to wall sunshine to return when they came back.

Last night I went out to collect our outdoor furniture that had blown all over the garden, I stacked the chairs in piles of three which then blew away! We've got trees down, cars being washed off bridges and more than half of Newcastle's suburbs without power. I don't think I ever seen weather like it! ..... 38mm fell in just one twenty minutes spell but the rain fell for 24 hours.



A coal tanker ran aground on Nobby's Beach and the crew have been winched to safety. Sea conditions are appalling with one wave buoy measuring a wave height of 17 metres and winds of 50+knots. As I type this there are a further four tankers (there are often up to 100 off the coast at any one time!) struggling to stay off the rocks and beaches.



Thanks to Marianne and Dave for the rescue picture at the top. The rest came from the local ABC site... I'm afraid I wasn't leaving the house as the city became gridlocked as businesses and all schools closed and evacuated.

No comments: