Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Some sounds for Beryl!



For those of you following things on http://sled63.blogspot.com you will know that I've been thinking about doing something different for music in the beetle. I wanted to create something to play my iPod music from, the original radio passed away a long time ago, and I'm not a great fan of CD players!



I started by finding the old record player which had been flood damaged and was sadly beyond repair. I stripped out the inside leaving only the sound grille and the turntable as I wanted it to still look like a record player!



I then put out a wanted message on Freecycle. For those of you that don't know Freecycle has groups all over the world and a message board that allows you to offer things to other people or post wanted messages. The only rules are that you are not allowed to take money for any items and secondly they can only be items that would have ended up in landfill sites.

On Monday I received a message from a local man offering the computer speakers and car battery that I wanted, I then bought a battery charger so that I could give it a charge and keep charging it in the future.

Back at home I cannibalised two unwanted AV leads to make a double jack plug for the rear of the speakers and the Ipod headphone socket. Once connected I fastened the record deck back in place with screws and rested the turntable back on top, complete with the VW badge!



I then cut the two pin plug from the speakers and wired in the good ole UK three pin so that I could make use of my old power inverter (used for laptop Djing while camping ... before the need for bigger speakers, lights, smoke machines and lazers necessitated a hook up or generator!)

I then hooked up the inverter to the battery after removing the cigarette lighter fitting and that as they say is that...

Record Player £ 0
Speakers £ 0
Battery £ 0
Plug from Beths hairdryer :) £ 0
Repro VW badge £ Got given it when we bought Stan!
Power Inverter £ Already had one!
AV Leads £ Already had them!
Ipod £ Already had one!
Battery Charger £ 8.32

Total £ 8.32



Was a bit gutted to have spent some money (could have Freecycled again I guess!) but all in all a fairly cheap bit of kit! :)

Check it out...

1 comment:

Brett, Kel, Elliott & Jasper said...

If I was a cynic... I'd say that your costing is missing your time and effort Paul. Luckily, though, I think I know you well enough to realise that this, like many other projects on Beryl is for love and not money :o)